You are now clear about your purpose and your readers, so next you can plan the content and the structure for your document.
Taking time to plan before you start to write:
- Makes the writing process easier and quicker
- Saves you time in writing and editing
- Reduces queries and corrections
- Helps you write a document that gets your message across and has the desired impact on your readers
- Gives you something to test before you start the main work of ‘writing’
Even small pieces of writing, like emails, benefit from planning; if you jot down your thoughts before you start to write, you will quickly construct a coherent message.
We will introduce you to several planning methods – try
them all out and see what suits you best!